The treatment session consists of a detailed health questionnaire and an office consultation. The length of time of a treatment visit is dependent on whether you are currently under the care of a naturopathic doctor. After the first or second treatment, self-care techniques will also be taught to enhance the benefit of the treatment. Follow up treatments depends on individual cases.
The therapy is first done on the pelvic area, working on the ligaments and muscles supporting the uterus. Then the upper abdomen is given a deep massage to relax the muscles around the diaphragm and digestive organs. The low back is also treated as the nerves from the sacrum feed the uterus.
The therapy is not recommended:
- 5 days before your period
- during your period
- within the first 6 weeks after a vaginal delivery
- within the first 3 months after a C-section
- if you have an IUD inserted
- immediately after surgery to the abdomen or pelvis
- if you have an acute infection (yeast or bladder)
- cancer in the abdomen or pelvic area
- during the first trimester of pregnancy
- if you have diastasis recti